You spend hours working on an Excel file, and suddenly, you lose it? An unexpected power outage or a system crash may cause the error, the excel file may have been accidentally closed without saving, or a virus/malware attack may have caused the error. Unfortunately, it’s okay to lose data.
Recovery File In Excel 2023
The good News is that there are some methods that you can use to recover your lost Excel file in just a few clicks. For example, we can help you recover Excel files lost during a power outage, lost files that weren’t saved, or even files you’ve saved previously.
Here are tips on recovering unsaved Excel files and preventing them from losing data.
How To Easily Recovery File In Excel
The recovery of unsaved Excel files can be made in two straight first, let’s ways. Let’s take a look at it.
Recovery file in Excel With Unsaved Changes with Built-in Tool
You can easily restore the changes you made to an Excel file if the file suddenly closes while editing it without allowing you to save the changes. Using this method requires auto-save to be enabled.
- Step 1. To reopen Excel after a crash, you need to close the app once everything has been restored to normal. You can recover documents with different file types from a new section.
- Step 2. You need to select the file you worked on before the crash.
- Step 3. When you have finished editing the file, save it so the latest changes will be saved.
- Restore an Excel File to a Previous Version
Recovery file in Excel Unsaved Change
Any Excel file you create has a feature that records its version history. The file history method can easily restore a previous version of an Excel file. Using the workbook feature, you can restore Excel files from hard drives. You can restore the Excel file to its previous version by following the steps below.
- Step 1. You can restore a previous version of an Excel file by opening Excel.
- Step 2. Select File and then Info. Select the version history to view previous versions of the same file stored online.
- Step 3. You can view the previous file versions once you open the version history.
- Step 4. Click “Restore” to save the file after selecting the version you wish to restore
- .Step 5. At the bottom of the spreadsheet, click the “Restore Unsaved Workbooks” button if you want to restore the previous unsaved version.
You May Also Raed:
- Five Major Benefits Using Fully-Managed Dedicated Server
- Back Pack solutions for Live video transmission?
How Can Recover Unsaved Excel Files On Mac?
For Mac users, retrieving unsaved recovery file in Excel is the same process as for Windows users. The following steps must be followed if the AutoRecover or AutoSave feature has been enabled:
- Step 1. In your Mac’s Finder app, click Go > Go to Folder.
- Step 2. Open /Users/Library/Containers/com. Search Microsoft.Excel/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery
- Step 3. You can save or copy the AutoRecover Excel files as needed.
You can also locate Excel temp files in the Temporary folder on Mac to recover unsaved Excel files.
- Step 1. Using Terminal, type “open $TMPDIR” and press Enter.
- Step 2. The “Temporary Files” folder will open. Next, select the “Temporary Items” folder.
- Step 3. Under “Temporary Items,” the unsaved Excel file starts with “Excel Work File .”You can restore an Excel file by finding it and restoring it. Make sure to change the .tmp extension to .xls/.xlsx before copying and saving.
How To Recover Overwritten Excel files
Using the temporary files in Windows 10/11/7 is a simple way to recover overwritten Excel files:
- For Windows 10/11/8, navigate to the temporary files by following this path: C:/Users/UserName/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Office/UnsavedFilesC:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles\
- You can use the Office feature to restore unsaved files from temporary files. Start by selecting “File” in Excel.
- Select the “Info” tab at the left and then click “Manage Workbook.”. Select Restore unsaved workbooks..
- Select the file and click Open.
- You will need to select “Save As” and complete the operation to recover the overwritten file.
How To Enable Autosaving And Autorecovery In Excel?
Autosave is a feature built into Excel that lets you save your work automatically without having to click Save each time you wish to save a version. Microsoft Office 365 is the only service that offers Autosave.
If you are using something other than the latest version, Excel’s autosave feature lets you automatically save your work every 10 minutes (or after a specified period). Your work is automatically saved and re-saved every ten minutes when this option is enabled.
Follow these steps to enable auto-saving:
- Step 1. Click the File tab in the Excel file.
- Step 2. At the bottom, click on Options.
- Step 3. On the left-hand panel of Excel Options, select Save.
- Step 4. Make sure that Excel is set to save OneDrive and SharePoint Online files by default automatically. Your work is saved in real-time every few seconds using this option in Microsoft Office 365.
- Step 5. Check the box – “Save AutoRecover information every” if you are using an older version of Excel. The default setting is 10 minutes, but it can be set lower or higher if you prefer. I set it to two minutes in my case.
- Step 6. The changes will be saved when you click OK.
How To Back Up Excel File
It can be very helpful to have automatic backups, especially if your Excel files are large. They allow you to restore your data if lost or damaged. To enable backups for Excel files, follow these simple steps.
Step 1. Click File, then Save As.
Step 2. In the Save As dialog box, click Tools, then General Options.
Step 3. Make sure Always create backups is checked. After that, click OK.
Step 4. In the Save dialog box, click Save.
Data recovery software can help restore the deleted .xlsb file if you can’t locate it in the Recycle Bin.
Excel File Recover If You Forgot To Save
As Excel allows you to create budgets, manage financial data, analyze large amounts of data, etc., losing it would significantly impact your personal and professional projects. Therefore, we hope you will find the methods we presented to help recover unsaved Excel files. As well as enabling automatic recovery, we have shown you how to create a backup copy of your search Microsoft Excel file.